1:72 P-47D by Martin Schultz

8/24/12 Update #4

I’ve inverted the article so the newest stuff is at the top.  Hope it doesn’t confuse anyone.  On to the final assembly!  I used a Burnt Sienna wash on the gear struts,  then attached the wheels and gear doors and  put the plane up on it’s gear.  Then I installed the seat and pilot.  The propeller is ready to be mounted.

Next up was the canopy and windscreen.  I spent a lot of time sanding the underside of the windscreen to try to get it to match the contours of the fuselage.  It would have been easier if I had done that before I painted everything.  Next, I peeled the bare metal foil off the canopy.

I cleaned up the left over adhesive with Goo Gone.  I dipped the entire canopy in future and put it inside a small box with a bit of paper towel and left it to dry overnight.   I then realized that my frames were now glossy.  I used a 5/0 brush and hand painted dullcoat over the frames.

I attached the windscreen and canopies with Krystal Kleer and then sat back and reviewed my work.  These are a couple of photos I took indoors.

Here is one I took outdoors.  Unfortunately, I have some spots on my lens I can’t get rid of.

Well, that’s it for now.  I am evaluating whether I need to add some paint chipping and some streaks and such.  With this much fading I think there should be some other evidence of wear.  What do you think?  Comment below and let me know.

8/10/12 Update #3

Next up were the decals.  I used Solvaset to get them to settle into the panel lines.  Don’t panic! They look really bad at first, but then everything looks fine later.

After the decals had dried for a week, I put on another coat of future, to protect everything prior to doing a wash with oil paints.  I used an oil paint wash to darken the recessed panel lines.  Here is a before picture.

And here is the after picture.  Very subtle.  I used a brown-green wash on the top and a dark grey wash on the bottom.

Around this time, I realized that I needed some white stripes on the tail.  I masked along the edge using bare metal foil, and then masking tape and a kleenex.

Once the paint was dry, I returned to the panel line wash.  Here you can see the effect with a wash on the left side and no wash on the right. See the difference it makes on the white tail stripes?

With the wash done, it was time for a dull coat.  I have a bottle of Testors lacquer dull coat (square bottle) that I siphoned off some of the clear from and added extra “dull” from another bottle.  Here is the top side

and the bottom.

That’s it for this update.  Look for more next week.

8/3/12.  Moving on with the construction,  I painted the bottom surfaces with Model Master Neutral Grey and the top surfaces Model Master Olive Drab (enamels), both colors slightly lightened with white for scale effect.  The fuselage insert leaves a large seam around the top.   Here I am filling the seam with Mr Surfacer 500 and 3m Acryl Blue putty.

How does the seam look now?

After all the seam filling, I had to go back and re-scribe some of the panel lines.  I used Dymo tape as a guide.

Once I was happy with the panel lines I added some shading by air brushing strait OD over the panel lines. This was the first time I have ever done this.  I was worried that it was too dark, but other modelers told me it would change a lot under dullcoat.

On the bottom I used slightly darkened neutral grey to darken the panel lines.

Once the panel line shading was all done, I put the engine in and then it was time for a couple of coats of Future to seal the enamel paint coats and get ready for decals.

7/27/12  Follow along as I show you my build of the JO-HAN 1:72 P47-D.  I actually started this just before Christmas 2010 for a club contest thinking, this doesn’t have many parts, how hard can it be?  Well, I am just now getting it finished.  First, I have to say that I normally build cars and Sci-Fi, Second, this is now for an out-of-the box contest.  For references, I used the Scribd website where I was able to pull together 5 different books on the P-47 including a Squadron Walk Around and a book on modeling the P-47.  http://www.scribd.com/collections/2796087/P-47-modeling-references

I have been fond of the Thunderbolt ever since I read the book Thunderbolt by Robert S. Johnson and Martin Caidin as a pre-teen.  I decided to do Lt. Bailey’s plane Zombie since I wanted to do a razorback.  I have a Revell kit of a bubble top if I want to do one of those in the future.

The kit has less than 50 parts to cover two versions, including ordinance.  I jumped right into building before I started taking photographs.

There is no interior in the kit other than a seat and a pilot figure.  I painted the interior Euro Dark Green, which looked like a close enough match to the interior photos I saw.  I assembled the wings and fuselage and primed them.

After 24 hours, the primer was still not dry.  I don’t recall which bottle of primer I used, but I sure hope I threw it out.  I stripped as much of the tacky primer off as I could and set it aside.

I then started on the engine.  Detail painting and an oil paint wash before and after assembling the two parts. 

I painted the canopy, first with the Euro Dark Green for what would show on the inside, and then Olive Drab. Masking was done with Bare Metal Foil.

I painted the propeller tips yellow over the bare white plastic.  Later masked with Liquid Masking medium.  The center hub was painted with Testor’s aluminum metalizer.

That’s most of what I got done in the first couple of days working on the kit.  Check back next week for the next update.

 

 

Pass it on...Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterPin on Pinterest0Share on Google+0Email this to someone

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

About the Author

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anti-spam: complete the taskWordPress CAPTCHA


Top